Whether you purchased a bean bag for your pets to snuggle, for your kids during playtime, or for yourself to recline and enjoy your favorite TV shows, it would have been through so much and will need cleaning by now.
Well, you are lucky today. This article will show you how best to get your bean bag cleaned and free of dust.
Bean Bag Cleaning Guide
What is a Bean Bag
A bean bag is a term used to refer to a sealed bag that contains dried beans or PVC pellets. Some others have expanded polystyrene and expanded polypropylene in them.
Typically bean bags were used for games, but now, they are primarily used as furniture.
Bean bags can be made from various materials, including suede, fake fur, leather, and corduroy. Some bean bags are waterproof, making them suitable for outdoor use, and they are a more affordable alternative to purchasing a couch.
How to Clean a Bean Bag
1. Clean the Little Spots
There is every likelihood that while you are relaxing and lounging, you’ve stained your bean bag with sauces from your meals.
How do you go about cleaning it? Here is a simple guide to remove spots from your bean bag:
– Use a dry towel to wipe the spill, leaving only the stain.
– Pour a little bit of washing soap directly on the stain.
– Leave the washing soap to sit for about half an hour.
– Using cold water, dampen a clean washrag. (hot water may worsen the stain)
– Scrub the stained area and rinse the spot with cold water.
– Leave the bean bag to dry.
2. Wash the Removable Slip Covers
Sometimes, bean bags get stained, and the stains are not only on specific spots that you can easily clean. To wash the entire covering of your bean bag, here is a simple and effective way to do it:
– Unzip the bean bag.
– If the content of the bean bag is loose, transfer it into a large bag for storage. If not, pull out the filler.
– Wipe off visible dirt and stains.
– In a bucket of cold water, leave the cover to soak for 5-10 minutes (you can add about 32g of baking soda or liquid stain remover).
– Wash on the delicate cycle with a little bit of detergent. Ensure that you do not add liquid fabric softener.
– Tumble dry.
3. Wash the Entire Bean Bag
Some bean bags don’t have removable covers, which means you have to wash everything when it gets dirty. You can place a sheet of plastic tarp on the floor before you begin to keep the area dry. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to effectively clean an entire bean bag.
– Use sparkling water to clean the dark stains on the bean bag.
– Using a mild detergent, spot treat the greasy stains.
– Wet a clean rag and apply a little bit of carpet cleaner.
– Scrub the entire surface area of the bean bag using the wet rag.
– Wet a clean towel and wipe the cleanser off. Repeat the process until all the cleanser comes off.
– Leave the bean bag to air dry.
How to Clean a Bean Bag that Requires Special Care
Bean bags come in various fabrics; therefore, they all require special care. Here are a few bean bag materials and how to care for them:
Using the above washing instructions may cause damage to your suede bean bag. Instead:
– Rub dirty spots with a wet terry towel.
– For stubborn stains, mix a cleaning solution of two parts water and one part vinegar.
– Using a metal suede brush, scrub the stained area in a circular motion.
– Spray on a protective spray.
Vinyl bean bags are very durable; however, the stains can be challenging to clean. Here is a foolproof method of cleaning vinyl bean bags:
– Make a paste of baking soda and drops of water.
– Dab the mixture in the spots.
– Using a soft-bristled brush, scrub gently to remove the stain.
– Clean off the paste with a damp cloth.
Plush bean bags are comfy and soft. Rough handling of the fabric can distort the texture, making it lose its softness. To keep your plush bean bag in shape, here are some easy steps to follow:
– Remove dust with a dry cloth.
– Vacuum the bean bag regularly using a brush attachment.
– Use a soft-bristled brush to get rid of stains.
– Unless necessary, ditch the soap and water cleaning.
Bean bags made from faux fur are rich and luxurious. If you wash them improperly, you will be left with a depressed bean bag.
Follow these easy steps to get your bean bag cleaned:
– Use an attachment brush and vacuum out the dirt.
– Spot clean the bean bag using an upholstery cleaner of good quality.
– Hand wash the fur with cold water and liquid soap.
– Soak it for about 15-20 minutes.
– Using a damp cloth, rinse it thoroughly and wring it out.
– Add a bit of fabric softener to cold water.
– Soak for ten minutes.
– Rinse again with a clean damp cloth.
– Fan dry.
– After drying, use a wide-toothed comb to brush the fur gently.
Cleaning a bean bag requires you to know the various types of fabrics, fillers, and cleaning agents. Fortunately, this article has discussed all these details and how to properly clean your bean bag to get it to last longer. Visit the Lifestyle Reviews homepage for more expert information & advice.