There are some clothes that will never be friends with electric dryers. They’re usually bras, sweaters, polyester/spandex tops and even shapewear. While you could take your chances and put anything you want in the dryer, chances are you’ll be picking off lint or actual material to make it presentable to wear.
Consider investing in the best retractable clothesline you can find. If you’re lucky enough to have a deck where you can hang your clothes outside or on a line, a retractable outdoor clothesline works, too.
But if you live in an apartment or condo that frowns upon that sort of thing, you’re going to have a tough time convincing your neighbors that your line of Spanx must greet all the delivery drivers and their guests.
Save yourself the argument and buy a retractable indoor clothesline instead. A retractable laundry line will help with giving your clothes an extended wearable time, along with keeping bright colors looking their best. Check out these 12 options below for ideas.
Best Retractable Clotheslines
- No Drilling:can be installed in any smooth surface as ceramic tiles.Adhesive with the glue and the temporary one-time tape. Please hold on 5 minutes at least and don't put anything on the shelf within 72 hours.
- Spacing:Easy to use retractable indoor and outdoor washing line,stows neatly away when not in use
- Durable:Fully retractable with ABS protective casing
- Multi Application:This clothes line is well adapted for hanging wet bathing suits, baby clothes, light weight blouses, small towels, swimming suits and other small clothing items.
- Capacity:This adjustable clothesline can extend to 4.2 m(13.8 feet)and hold a weight of approximately 20 kg(44 pound). Great gift idea for men, women, mom, home and family, Good choice for Christmas Day and New Year gift.
This wall-mounted retractable clothesline is lightweight, easy to install and hold all kinds of clothing.
- ABS protective case
- Aluminum dryer with adjustable stainless steel
- 8 feet
Available in black, pink, white and silver, you can use adhesive with glue and temporary onetime tape to install the clothesline. Hold it in place for five minutes, and avoid putting anything on the line for 72 hours. This can extend up to 13.8 feet and hold up to 44 pounds.
- No drilling, install on any smooth surface such as ceramic tiles
- Fully retractable
- One reviewer reported the anchor pulled off drywall
- Another reviewer said the plastic looked cheap
This clothesline, with its concave design and aluminum design, should have a firmer grip or support than other options.
3 used from $56.83
- Space saving adjustable 5 line drying rack for hanging wet or dry laundry inside or outside
- Lines extend to 34 feet creating 170 feet of space to dry multiple loads of laundry
- Aluminum housing features large tightening knob which keeps lines taut, tangle free, and protected
- Easy to use and great for indoor or outdoor use
- Housing dimensions: 6.5 L x 36.5 W x 8 D; Line length 34 feet inches
Whether for indoors or outdoors, this clothesline can be used to hang wet clothes or dry laundry to avoid wrinkles.
- 5 inches wide
- 8 inches deep (closed)
- 5 inches high
Made to extend as long as 34 inches, it can create 170 feet of space to dry multiple loads of laundry. It is set up to dry multiple loads of laundry. Also, the aluminum housing features large tightening knobs, which keep lines taut and protected.
- Space saving adjustable line
- Tangle free
- Not as lightweight as others
- One interview reported the locking mechanism broke
This product can be used indoors or outdoors, but you’ll need enough room to set it up. You will have a one year warranty, with proof of purchase.
- ✅ EASY TO INSTALL - GorillaLine retractable clothesline is very easy to set up in minutes!
- ✅ SPACE SAVING - With one touch, you can easily retract GorillaLine and put it away when not in use.
- ✅ MODERN DESIGN - Match the decor in your home perfectly in your laundry room, bathroom, balcony, anywhere!
- ✅ SAVE MONEY - Hang clothing to dry on your retractable clothesline and be gentle on your clothes!
- ✅ 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - If you are unhappy with your product, return for a full refund.
This space-saving clothesline works with one touch. Retract as needed, and put the heavy-duty clothesline away when you don’t.
- Stainless steel laundry line
- Coated in plastic
- Hardware and screws included
This model combines durability with fashionable decor, so it does not stick out like a sore thumb. It stretches out to 13 feet 9 inches, and up to 40 pounds.
- Easy installation
- Does not include adhesive
- May be sturdy but not have a tight hold, as one reviewer reported
If this is not the ideal clothesline for you, return it for a full refund.
$15.55 in stock
3 used from $13.79
- ✅ EFFORTLESS, SIMPLE & PAINLESS INSTALLATION IN MINUTES - You won’t have to go rushing to any department store, everything you need for a smooth setup is right in our box. Mount the durable line to your wall of choice & enjoy worry-free free drying.
- ✅ FREE UP YOUR HOME, TIME & MONEY - Tired of dealing with the constant unpacking of drying racks & bulkiness of rotary clotheslines? With our minimalist design, your kids can use the yard in peace while you massively slash your electricity bills.
- ✅ A POWERFUL LINE THAT WON’T SAG EASILY - Over time wet towels, jeans & overbearing weights eat away at the stability of your clotheslines. We use special ABS material in our design that's adept at absorbing shock and eliminating sagginess.
- ✅ THE LAST CLOTHESLINE YOU’LL PURCHASE - Our lines are engineered to be built to last. No matter the wear & tear, our specialty PVS can effortlessly stand up to 30 lbs. This is the same clothesline you can pass on for years to come.
- ✅ EASILY FITS INTO ANY PART OF YOUR LOVELY HOME - With an extended 40 feet stretch, our clothesline offers flexibility that’s hard to beat. Turn even the most remote areas of your home including your patio, balcony, garden or deck into a nature-powered drying machine.
This heavy-duty outdoor clothesline comes in handy for all of your delicates and other laundry needs. Just mount the durable line to the wall of your choice, and start hanging clothes.
- 40-feet long
- Holds 30 pounds
- Special ABS material
These clotheslines are engineered to last through all kinds of wear and tear from wet clothing and constant hanging. Just attach to a sturdy wall of your patio, balcony, deck or garden and wait it out.
- Simple installation with all hardware included
- Absorbs shock and eliminates sagging
- One reviewer said the line would not hold still if clothespins were attached to it
- Several users said the retraction line broke within a short period of time
Although there is a weight requirement, systematic washing (or washing delicates more frequently) will help avoid having too many items on the line at once.
- RETRACTABLE: Adjustable stainless steel laundry line can extend to 9.2 feet.The lock button can be used to lock any length within 9.2 feet.
- 1-YEAR WARRANTY:Polished chrome finish，the drying line is rustless, corrosion free. Will not be expired within 1 years.
- MULTIPLE FUNCTIONS:This retractable clothesline can be used to hang swimming suits, baby clothing, and some others that not belong in dryer.Great addition to any home, hotel, indoors & outdoors, laundry, bathroom and boat.
- HIGH WEIGHT CAPACITY: Holds a maximum weight of 22 lbs when mounted.
- LESS SPACE：This shower clothesline can be easily retract to its case for storage.
Retractable clotheslines are designed to stay in place when one line is stretched to the other. But this one adds a little extra security with a lock option to make sure it doesn’t accidentally snap and your clothes go flying.
- Unlock/lock feature
- Polished chrome finish
- Stainless steel
This 9-foot option is available in nine models: chrome finish, black, brushed antique brass, brushed black, brushed nickel, brushed rose golden, chrome (drill) and white. It can hold a maximum of 22 pounds when mounted. It’s also flexible for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Antiskid design
- Requires tools for installation (i.e. drill)
- Several users had problem getting the bracket and screw to accurately mount (one did not receive screws at all)
This clothesline is covered by a one-year warranty, in addition to being corrosion and rust free for many years after.
$10.99 in stock
- 1 COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT- small traveling clothesline comes in pocket size, packed in zip bag. This laundry cord set take up little room and light weight for backpack, suitcase, bag, convenient for carry-on trip.
- 2 STURDY AND DURABLE- travel clothes lines is made of nylon, get tight and less stretch, support wet heavy laundry, washed cloth, bathing suit, washcloths, hand washing items. Use for indoor and outdoor drying, handy for things.
- 3 NON-SLIP AND WINDPROOF - there are 12pcs locking beads and clothes pins in laundry cord set. Place removable stopper on side of clips, hold cloth in place as your desire, no sag, drying in air quickly even in windy.
- 4 ADJUSTABLE LENGTH- portable clothes drying line can be rotated into a roll, convenient and functional almost anywhere. The max length is 26ft, work well in camping, hiking, outdoor activity. Also do it on a backpacking travel, cruise, RV, beach, hotel trip, indoor, adjust length as your need.
- 5 EASY TO SET UP-there are 2 hooks on line ends that can be attached anywhere:bathroom, laundry room, balcony, shower bathtub backyard etc. It is a very useful device for indoor and outdoor drying clothes.
The Caudblor reduces that annoying problem that happens often with hanging clothes to dry—clothes of different weights (when wet) shifting around over each other. The movable locking stopper on this option adjusts space so they can be spaced apart, dry evenly and effectively.
- 26-foot line
- Windproof clothespins
- 12-piece stoppers
Hang your clothes with assistance from the stoppers for this nylon clothesline. Just turn the handle to adjust for length (long or short) and let time and heat do the rest. Then take it down when you’re done.
- Small enough to put in your pocket
- Must have two areas to hook onto so may not work on flat surfaces
- Stainless steel may snag delicates so apply and remove carefully
This indoor/outdoor clothesline can be used everywhere, including hotel trips, camping, and your bathroom. The two hooks on the line ends can pretty much be attached to any area where the hooks can latch onto or tied around, including trees.
- 1.Physical description: 3.15（L）x2.17（W）x3.94（H）inches. Clothesline can be extended up to 11.6ft long; max load is 8.8lbs.Constructed from high impact ABS plastic case and braided nylon string; Designed for use either indoors or outdoors. you can choose freely the hanging distance according to drying demands for hanging wet/dry laundry.
- 2.Easy to install : Give 12 clips as a gift.This retractable laundry clothesline comes fully assembled and is very easy to install (installation hardware is included);Just mount onto your wall with provided screws and it’s ready to use!
- 3.Space saving：Very easy to retract if needed to move the line back to its case for easy storage. It attaches to the wall with a special bracket which means it can simply clip off for removal when not required.
- 4.Widespread Use:This creative clothesline can be used in the bathroom. When you take a shower, pull the rope and fix it. Let the clean clothes you want to change dry on the rope. After the shower, take the clothes and put them on. Then take the rope back and no longer occupy the bathroom space.It also can be used for hanging wet bathing suits, baby clothes,delicates that can't be machine dried; A great addition to any home, hotel, indoors & outdoors, laundry room, boat etc
- 5.Quality guarantee:Good after-sales service, Risk free guaranteed. If you’re not satisfied with these outside portable clothes line, please feel free to contact us for money back, we’ll reply you within 24 hours.
This indoor, portable clothesline can be extended up to 11.6 feet long with a maximum load of 8.8 pounds.
- Lock/unlock option
- Braided nylon line
Made of high-impact ABS plastic case and braided nylon string, this clothesline can be used indoors, outdoors, or both. With 12 clips, just mount onto a wall with the provided screws and hang clothes as needed.
- Comes fully assembled
- Easy to install with hardware included
- May take two hands to lock and unlock
- May droop in tight spaces
When you’re done hanging clothes and need space, just take the clip off of the special bracket. And if you’re not satisfied with it at all and want it off altogether, contact the seller for a money-back guarantee.
- 【Two Installation Methods】: Equipped with complete installation accessories. A: drilling. (actual test, it will be more solid) . B: install with glue, please press and hold at least after applying the glue keep it for 1 minute, don't hang anything in 72 hours.
- 【Retractable Length】: Manually pull out the adjustable stainless steel wire can up to 13.8 feet. When not in use, remove the wire from the wall lock, it will automatically retract the box, saving space.
- 【Max Hanging Weight】: The heaviest hanging weight can be 44 pounds, do not deliberately destroy, will reduce the service life.
- 【Good Quality Material】: Made of high quality ABS, aluminum and stainless steel, wear resistant and rust proof. Its small size makes it ideal for indoor and outdoor limited spaces.
- 【Multi Use Occasion】: Suitable for hanging wet swimsuits, baby clothes, lightweight shirts, small towels, swimwear and other small items. Fit for hotel, family, indoor, laundry and etc.
Wear resistant and rust proof, this clothesline is long enough to dry as needed but small enough to be perfect for indoor and/or outdoor use.
- 8 feet
- Wall-mounted style
- 49-foot stainless steel wire
With the ability to hold up to 44 pounds, this clothesline can easily be locked into place by pulling the steel wire out and rotating the button to keep in place. It is available in black, stainless steel, white and silver colors. Attach by glue installation or perforated installation.
- Adjustable, retractable line
- Includes complete installation accessories
- A couple of users reported that it would not stay on the wall after a few uses (glue may not be the most ideal installation option)
- Knob may be stiff initially
When you’re done using the clothesline, you can remove the wire from the wall lock. It will automatically retract right back into its box, ready for its next use.
1 used from $42.82
- 5 LINE: This wall mounted clothes dryer features 5 line. You can use the 5 line at same time or independtly to hang wet or dry laundry inside or outside
- RETRACTABLE: This wall mounted washingline is retractable. Any length under 11.5 feets is available with lock button. Therefore it is ideal for bathroom, basement, garden, attic, arage and more
- SPACE-SAVER: This clothesline retracts back into casing when not in use. No need to waste space with big clunky clothes racks and enjoy a clean and untangled clothesline whenever you need it
- DURABLE: This retractable clothesline's case is made of high impact ABS plastic that is crack and heat resistant to keep the lines strong and protected from all weather climates
- FULLY ASSEMBLED: This clothes drying rack comes fully assembled and is very easy to install. Just mounting onto your wall with provided screws and it's ready to use
This clothesline, which is good for indoor and outdoor use, can be used anywhere from the garden to the attic. Use all five ropes at once or use a few at a time, dependent upon the weight of the clothing.
- 5 feet of attached rope (11.5 feet each)
- High-impact ABS plastic
- Wall-mounted rack
Each line can hold up to 7 pounds, which in total means 35 pounds. Be careful when spreading out clothing though because if some items are heavier than others, it could potentially make the entire clothesline lean unevenly.
- Lock option to secure clothes in place
- Crack and heat resistant
- Wire may appear to be thinner than pictured
- One reviewer reported individual lines were coming out of the base as soon as clothing was hung on them
Fully assembled and easy to install, just mount this clothesline with the provided screws and use immediately. Best of all, the clothesline is designed to protect against all-weather climates.
- Single line retractable clothesline with stainless steel spring
- Indoor or outdoor use
- Quick lock bottom cleat locks line and keeps line taut
- 40 feet of line
- Case made of high impact ABS plastic that is crack and heat resistant
Suited for indoor and outdoor use, this stainless steel strong clothesline will be durable enough to hold your laundry with ease.
- PVC heavy-duty material
With 40 feet of line and a quick-lock bottom cleat, this high-impact ABS plastic deploys easily and should stay in place for its intended use.
- Crack and heat resistant
- Can handle heavy material like carpet
- Another user said heavy blankets probably wouldn’t be supporter
- Automatic stopper didn’t work for one user
As with any new product, it may take time to get used to unlocking and locking the knob underneath that holds the tension in place.
$13.99 in stock
5 used from $12.87
- HIGH BEARING CAPACITY: Retractable clothesline is made of high-quality ABS, and this adjustable clothes washingline can extend to 40ft and effortlessly stand up to 30 lbs at one time.(Wrap a circle around the bottom cleat, lock the line to keep it taut from sagging.If the clothesline gets stuck in the process. you can pull the line out again and release it,and it will go back into the unit.)
- WALL MOUNTED - Simple to install, the washing line features a swivelling bracket so the lines can be pulled in a range of angles from the mounting point. All mounting hardware is included in the box, along with instructions.
- FLEXIBLE USE: The clothes dryer moves freely from side to side so that it can be stored neatly against the wall and allowing you flexibility to where you can fasten. Due to adjustable design, you can helps saving much space when not in use and adjust the length you need .
- Multi Application:Well adapted for hanging wet bathing suits, baby clothes, light weight blouses, small towels, swimming suits and other delicates that can't be machine dried.Great addition to any home, hotel, indoors & outdoors, laundry room and boat.
- What You Got: UP TO 90 DAYS 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEED. 1 x INFUN Retractable Clothesline , 12 x Clothespins and 3 x screws , When you purchase the INFUN Retractable Clothesline you can be confident you will receive a great clothes dryer .If you ever have issues with your INFUN Retractable Clothesline, simply contact us, and our professional customer service team will rush a replacement to you.no questions asked.RISK FREE purchase today.
Hang everything from birthday suits on vacation hotel stays to lightweight blouses before your next big meeting.
- Heavy-duty 40-foot long ABS
- Wall-mounted with swivel bracket
- Holds up to 30 pounds
With all mounting hardware included, it can be used to make sure the lines can be pulled in a range of angles from the mounting point. This set also includes 12 clothespins and three screws. And if you wrap a circle around the bottom cleat, you can keep it taught to avoid that slow-smile appearance (when clothes lean downward too much).
- Easy installation
- Retractable to easily realign
- One reviewer still needed middle support even after tightening tension
- One reviewer described the hinge as ”wobbly”
This clothesline purchase is covered for up to 90 days with 100 percent money back guaranteed.
10 used from $21.51
- Easy to use retractable outdoor washing line - Stows neatly away when not in use
- Double line - each with 49-feet length
- Fully retractable with UV stable protective casing
- Clips off bracket for winter storage
- Includes all wall fixings needed
With a clip-off option from its special bracket to remove as needed during winter months (outside), this gray option is good for balconies, gardens and patios.
- Option of 49-foot clothesline space, or two 49-feet lines
- UV stable protective casing
- Includes all wax fixings needed
Made to hold up to 55 pounds, this PVC-coated line can handle approximately one load from the wash with the one-line option or two loads with the two-line option.
- Sunlight resistant
- Easy to wipe clean
- One reviewer reported that the tabs have both cracked and broke under very light use
- Some may be disappointed to find out that the whole apparatus is made from plastic
This clothesline purchase is covered by a one-year limited warranty.
Key Information to Know
Before investing in a clothesline, there are a few things you should know. It’s not just about which clothesline is heavy-duty enough to hold blankets, sweaters, carpets or jeans. There’s also the matter of making sure it’s safe.
For some clotheslines, there is a lock option to keep the rope in place. Pay attention to which way to turn or adjust the rope beforehand. There should never be a point where the clothesline is repeatedly snapping out of place or clothes are falling because they’re too heavy on the line. If the room is too tense or not tense enough, you should remove clothing as needed. Maybe you’ll have to wash loads strategically or hang a few at a time. But you want to avoid heavy duty rope accidentally snapping out of its locked or tied location and potentially hitting someone nearby.
Children and pets should be kept away from clotheslines at all times. Of course, this may be easier said than done if the dog plays in the backyard while the lines is in use. Or, a small child wants to grab a couple of items from the bathtub clothesline.
To both groups, this is a fun game to play just so they can see if said clothing will come down. Keep an eye on them. Just as the locks can be dangerous if not used correctly, small children or pets yanking on clothing while drying can also be dangerous. Eventually both groups will get used to seeing hanging items from these clotheslines, but as long as it’s a novelty to see, pay special attention to how they react to it.
Outdoor or Indoor
No one can answer that question but you. While the bathroom may be the most non-public place to hang clothes, that plan can fall flat should you do laundry and invite a few guests over. Chances are that they’ll probably ask to go to the bathroom before they leave. And for homeowners, apartment dwellers and condo owners, bathrooms don’t always come with windows. So it is very much possible that the clothing could dry with a damp smell on it from being in an enclosed environment.
Don’t put your clothesline in a room where you’re already seeing a concerning amount of uncomfortable temperatures. Obviously, a room that gets pretty hot (or holds heat well in the winter months) will do better than a damp, cool temperature. The same rules apply outside. If you live in a rainy, damp neighborhood, an outside clothesline may not be the best option. As long as you’re comfortable with where the brackets, hots and glue installations will go (do not guess), you should be OK though.
Complaints about weight
As you can see from the cons above, there were people who complained about the clothes not staying on the line or the clothesline immediately flopping off. This is not a completely unheard of thing to do. It happens. However, every clothesline is not created equally. Pay attention to the clothes in your closet that you want to be dried on a clothesline ahead of time. For heavy-duty items, make sure to buy a heavy-duty clothesline. For lightweight items, you probably won’t have much to worry about (besides pinching pins). But with that said, you can significantly reduce the lifespan of a clothesline if you are constantly putting clothes on it that are too heavy or don’t even require hang drying. If there’s an item (ex. a comforter) that would be better off in the dryer, go for it. Some clothes, even if dried saver on the clothesline, will not dry well in the middle. Say, for example, a comforter has feathers in it. Get very comfortable with the weight of the clothes as well as all material in the clothing beforehand.
Clotheslines such as the 12 above come in handy for a variety of reasons. Too often people get rid of clothing (especially fast fashion) because it wears out its longevity too easily. While there’s an argument to be made for clothing that isn’t of the best quality, there’s another argument to be made that too many times people just don’t do what’s best for their clothing.
If you want to keep bright clothes brighter, detergent alone won’t do it if the clothing is then put in the dryer on “high.” If you want to keep bras and other threading from getting tangled, it’s probably best to not let it flop around with other easily tangled items.
Of course, apparel users should always follow the washing instructions on the clothing tags. But more often than not, clothing that has specific instructions about “tumble dry low” usually means it could do without the dryer altogether. And sometimes clothes that can be dried, such as jeans, just last longer when the dye is not exposed to heat from dryers (and irons). Will it be a little more wrinkled than usual? Possibly. But clothing in the dryer can also have a look of disarray. Do what works best for you, but also make sure to give your new (and older) clothes a chance to be worth the money spent.
For all your Lifestyle needs head over to the homepage for more product reviews!
Choosing the best line for your needs is easy with our detailed reviews & ratings.
- Household Essentials
- Caudblor Portable
- Jolitac Adjustable
- Household Essentials