If you’re left-handed, congrats! You’re in the esteemed ranks of great artists such as Leonardo da Vinci and David Bowie. But you probably also have a small but oddly irritating list of grievances – like all the times you had to switch desks at school or suffer ink-stained palms from pen smudges.
Finding a pen that works for you can be a surprisingly positive life changer. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best pens for lefties.
Say good-bye to annoying ink smudges and pen stains on the side of your palm after you spend some time jotting notes or journaling.
Pens that are designed with lefties in mind need to have fast-drying ink and ideally feature a comfortable, ergonomic design – to prevent carrying your hand across what you’ve written, smudging the words and staining your palms.
For writers, artists, or anyone that spends a substantial amount of time using pens for writing lists, journals, or quick sketches – pens can be a small but important aspect. Finding the right kind of pen can make all those aforementioned activities much easier and enjoyable.
Best Pens for Lefties
- Delivers fast, clean writing that keeps up with your thoughts
- Quick drying ink helps minimize smudging ideal for left handers
- Embossed grip and stainless steel accents make a stylish statement
- Features uni Super Ink that protects against water, fading, and fraud
- Includes: 3 black ballpoint pens; 0.7 millimeter fine point
Jet Stream are popular among pen-lovers and this specific ballpoint pen is allegedly perfect for left-handed writers and sketchers. This is because it has quick-drying ink that writes easy and smooth on paper.
- Stainless steel accents for a more elegant aesthetic
- Features unique super ink that can withstand water and fading
- 07-millimeter fine point ink
- Features an embossed grip
This is a standard, classic ballpoint pen, with a simple, elegant design and hybrid ink. With thousands of positive consumer reviews and fast drying ink, it’s a great option for anyone that’s tired of smudged notes and journal pages.
- Quick drying ink
- Very budget-friendly
- Available in three colors
- Thicker ink can cause inconvenient blobs
- Some reviews claimed the pens dried out pretty suddenly
For quick-drying, mess-free pens that are satisfying and convenient, try Jetstream.
Zebra Sarasa Grand
- Rapid dry ink dries instantly to prevent smears and smudges
- 0.7mm tip creates skip-free lines for consistent results
- Weighted barrel offers sturdy feel for writing comfort
- Handy clip secures to various locations for easy access and storage
- Easy-to-use design allows quick, simple ink replacement
These beautiful, elegant gel pens are simple and comfortable to write with – aside from looking great.
- Brass barrel with transparent window for convenient ink level tracking
- Rapid Dry Ink Technology helps prevent smudging and smearing
- Simple and convenient push clip
Using a unique Rapid Dry Ink technology, the Zebra Sarasa writes smoothly and smudge-free, making it an ideal option for lefties.
- Refillable and economical
- Bold, vibrant colors
- Comfortable hold for lefties and righties
- Comes in an assortment of colors
- Some users complained about bleeding ink (ink that leaks through the pages)
- Pocket clip could snap off
A chic design and vibrantly colored ink makes the Zebra pen an attractive option for lefties who enjoy writing and drawing.
- Maped Visio Left-Handed Pen. 3 pack includes black, blue, and red.
- Designed for left-handed writers, this ball-point pen has quick-drying ink, a rubberized grip section, and a line width of 0. 7 mm.
- Conical steel tip produces a 0. 7mm medium line.
One of the Maped Left-Handed pens’ most unique features is that it was designed especially to provide visibility and a fluid writing experience for lefties.
- Features a unique curved barrel that enables lefties to see what they’re writing without having to hook their wrist around
- Quick drying ink that is smudge-resistant and provides a smooth flow
With its unusual curved barrel and soft, anti-slip material, it boasts an ergonomic design that complements a left-handed writer.
- Unique, ergonomic design
- Curved barrel for optimal visibility
- Comfrotable to hold
- Quick-drying ink
- Not suitable for right-handed writers, due to the unique design
- Some users found the grip to actually be uncomfortable
If you’re tired of struggling with your pens, the Maped Visual is fun, innovative, and well worth a try.
$12.99 in stock
1 used from $11.43
- Fast drying ink dries up to 3x faster for less smearing vs BIC Gelocity Original based on average dry times of blue, black and red. Individual dry times may vary by color)
- Super smooth writing experience
- Comfortable full grip barrel
- Vibrant, fun colors
- Available in 0.7 millimeter medium point in black, blue, red and fashion-colored ink
If you love using gel pens but find yourself frequently frustrated by smudges and stains, give the BIC quick-dry gel pens a try.
- Full grip barrel for extra comfort
- Quick-drying ink that writes from every angle
- Comes in a variety of vibrant colors
Most people already associate BIC with pens of all shapes and sizes, and these quick-dry gel pens have a different aspect that makes them unique. With ink that reportedly dries three times faster than normal BIC pens, these are great for left-handed writers.
- 12 in a pack
- Comfortable, easy-to-use grip
- Budget-friendly option
- Some users reported smudges
- Not refillable – suitable for one-time use only
Have fun next time your journal, sketch, or jot down a simple shopping list with gel pens designed to give you a flawless user experience.
- High performance ink technology combines the best qualities of liquid and gel ink for a super-smooth writing experience
- Liquid gel ink dries so fast even left handed writers love it - no smears, no smudges, no globs
- ENER-GEL ink writes more smoothly than the leading Brand (internally tested to be smoother writing than the leading gel pen on standard writing paper)
- Sleek & stylish barrel design with metal accents for a Professional look
- Latex-free grip for writing comfort and control
Fine point pens can create elegantly delicate cursive but they can also be difficult for lefties that can’t really see what’s happening as they write.
- Stylish barrel with metal accents that lend a professional look
- Combination of liquid and gel ink for a super-smooth writing experience
With their vibrant ink and design, the Pentel Energel pens are a great hybrid of practicality and personality.
- Quick-dryink ink promises “no smears, no smudges, no globs”
- The pens are refillable – an eco-friendly and budget-friendly option
- Some users report that the ink ran out a little faster than other pens
If you’re a lefty that like color-coding your notes or colorful sketches, the Pentel EnerGel may just be the perfect writing tool for you.
Dryden Designs Fountain Pen
- Writes Like A Dream - Designed to be well balanced, you do not have to press down hard to begin to write. Ink [not included] flows smoothly and naturally under its own weight. Using the fine nib and convenient snap on cap, you can write wherever and however you wish.
- Modern and Elegant - This sleek Mysterious Blue metallic design adds a touch of modern class to your daily routine. It is made from stainless steel which is well crafted and sturdy, designed as a left and right handed fountain pen. Create to do lists, journal, make executive decisions by smoothly signing your signature on the line all possible with this flex fine nib.
- Daily Use - This will be your best writing tool that you carry around and bring with you everywhere. With the smooth lines, consistent flow, your lines will always glide across the page whether it is notes in your agenda or doodles on the side of a page. With zero ink leakage and cap cover, this is the perfect writer's pen.
- Versatile Pen - Each one is compatible with both a standard cartridge and bottled ink, making it a versatile fountain pen. For your convenience, every order includes a piston converter. This pump allows you to refill the pen with an ink bottle you purchase separately.
- Gift Ready - This item comes ready to go as a gift. Perfect for college, university, and law school graduates as a graduation present. A nice surprise for literary writers, those who love to journal and those who write poetry. Fountain pens are a classy gift for new and advanced professionals, managers, and executives in every industry boosting elegance and class. A treat for yourself as a hard-working individual who meticulously takes notes and stays organized.
Fountain pens are a classy twist on modern-day writing tools such as pens and pencils. For a lefty, fountain pens can still pose annoying problems like smudged ink. Finding the best fountain pen for lefties can be tricky, but the Dryden Design fountain pen is a great option.
- A sleek, royal-like blue design with gold accents
- Quick-drying ink that writes smoothly
You may as well feel like royalty while writing up grocery lists, your weekly goals, or a mindful journal entry. The Dryden fountain pen creates smooth and consistent line flows, making for a satisfying, positive writing experience.
- Many positive reviews on Amazon
- Budget-friendly alternative to high-end, expensive fountain pens
- Refillable nibs
- A few users reported that their nibs dried out quickly
Designed to look elegant while being practical and convenient writing tools, the Dryden fountain pens are beautiful and designed to provide easy writing flow for righties and lefties both.
STABILO SMARTball 2.0
- High quality and enhanced all in one pen and stylus
- Clever ballpoint pen with soft grip and sensitive touch-screen stylus that works on all your touch-screen devices
- Use like a pen or a wand for scrolling, writing drawing, texting and avoid dirty, fingerprinted screens
- Upgraded version for left and right handed people
- Line width 0.5 mm, refillable with document proof blue and black ink
With a new updated version tailored to both right-handed and left-handed, the Stabilo Ballpoint Pen is comfortable, convenient, and stylish.
- Pen and touch-screen sensitive stylus
- Upgraded version for both right-handed and left-handed people
- Soft and comfortable grip
This pen-stylus hybrid allows you to quickly jot down a grocery list, sketch a picture on your tablet, or journal in comfort. Versatile and modem, it’s a great option for anyone that appreciates unique pens.
- Refillable so budget-friendly and eco-friendly
- Ergonomic grip made for both left-handed and right-handed users
- Available in 3 colors
- Some users had issues with the stylus
- Few Amazon reviews so hard to gauge user experience
The Stabilio pen is sleek and designed for optimal convenience, making it a great option for any lefty that’s tired of annoying writing experiences.
Fisher 400B Space Bullet
- Writes at any angle, even in zero gravity.
- When closed, bullet space pens are the perfect size to carry in your wallet, pocket, purse, car glove box, organizer, or toolbox. When open, it's a full sized, evenly balanced writing instrument.
- Writes in extreme temperatures from -30F to 250F
- Cartridge: Fisher Pressurized Pr4 Black ink medium point
The Fisher Pen is styled after the original bullet space pen created in 1948 by Paul Fischer, made for possible use in even outer space.
- Writes at any angle
- Writes at even zero gravity
- Pressurized cartridge
Enjoy this innovative and budget-friendly bullet pen. With its unique pressurized cartridge, it can write at every angle without smudging or leaking – making it a perfect for lefties.
- Small size and leak-proof cap makes it pocket-friendly
- Can write at all angles and extreme temperatures
- Writes smoothly
- Some users complained of a spring that sprung loose after a few uses
- No clip so the pen can’t be clipped on
If you enjoy innovative gadgets and you’re a leftie looking for a convenient, easy-to-use pen, you’ll love the Fisher Space Bullet Pen.
- Item name: ball-point pen
- Push-down mechanism
- Product type: Haptify
- Stroke width: M
- Type of cartridge: metal SLider 757 cartridge with revolutionary ViscoGlide -Technology
This German premium quality ballpoint was designed specially for smooth gliding, comfortable writing.
- Features an ergonomic trigonal-shaped grip
- Large ink supply
- Wear resistant stainless steel tip at the end
This stylish, high-class pen is great for lefties that struggle with smudged ink or stained palms over and over again.
- Refillable with a few different refill formats
- Durable metal clip for pockets
- Water-resistant ink
- A little to the smaller side size-wise
Treat yourself to a wonderfully designed pen, perfect for office use, signing documents, or your personal writing activities.
- ★VALUE SET: 18 Premium 0.5mm Black Gel Pens provide smooth writing and great gift idea. Perfect for bullet journal, note taking, drawing detail.
- ★LONG LASTING: XL- ink capacity make it writes longer than the average of the top branded gel ink pens. And Semi-translucent barrel allows you to monitor ink supply.
- ★RETRACTABLE writing pens are perfect for office, school & home project etc. Great Writing & Correction Supplies.
- ★HIGH QUALITY: Reliably vivid ink brightens up your notes and contoured rubber grip,which make it easy to hold and better to writing.
- ★QUICK DRY: Dries very quickly, and no smear at all after few seconds.No Fading, Smudging or Bleed-through
If you’re a lover of simple, classic rollerball pens, you’ll appreciate the no-nonsense, practical design of the Tanmit pens.
- Semi-translucent barrel makes it possible to track the amount of ink left
- Quick-drying ink means no smudging or bleed-through
- A comfortable contoured grip
- Retractable spring-loaded cartridge
Budget-friendly but convenient, these pens are a great option for left-handed users due to its convenient design and high-quality, quick-drying ink.
- Quick dry and long-lasting ink
- Semi-translucent barrel makes it possible to track the amount of ink left
- Some users report less ink than expected
- Some users reported scratchy ink
If you’re looking for high quality pens that write smoothly and provide fine-pointed, fast-drying ink, the Tanmit retractable ballpoint pens are an economical, recommended option.
If you prefer old-fashioned ink on paper instead of journaling or making lists on your electronic devices, then you recognize the value of a great pen.
For lefties, finding the perfect pen is even more of a tricky find. Because of the writing angle, lefites often end up having to write with their hands dragging across the ink – blocking visibility and leaving smudge marks on their palms.
Finding a pen that’s designed specially for lefties can be a game-changer. Fast-drying ink is always a plus because it helps prevent smudging.
Whether you prefer more elegant and uniquely classy pen designs, or the more standard and straightforward pens, there are quite a few comfortable and convenient options for lefties. Say good-bye to annoying writing experiences and embark on a new writing journey with pen that feels like it’s been created just for you!
Visit the Lifestyle Reviews homepage for more expert reviews!
Pens for Lefties
Choosing the best pen for a leftie is easy with our detailed reviews and ratings.
- Uni-Ball Jetstream
- Zebra Sarasa Grand
- Maped Visio
- BIC Gel-Ocity
- Pentel Pearl
- Dryden Designs Fountain Pen
- STABILO SMARTball 2.0
- Fisher 400B Space Bullet
- Schneider Haptify