If you’re a business traveler who spends more time outside of your home than you do in it, having the best home security cameras will give you some peace of mind. There are plenty of options to choose from: a nest security camera, a wired home security system, a floodlight camera, a CCTV camera, and more.
Before you purchase a surveillance camera don’t base your decision solely on security camera reviews. You must first take into consideration what your needs are. How long do you want the camera to record footage?
Would you rather use a DVR player to replay it or an easy-to-carry flash drive? Are you in an area that has constant rain and would never survive without waterproof protection?
Will this camera be in an area of your basement that is close to pipes (and again, risk of getting wet from plumbing emergencies)? Is your home already set up to properly display footage from wireless cameras, and is your connection strong enough to work for a Wi-Fi camera?
Have answers to these questions long before you purchase a wired home security system. You’ll save yourself a lot of unnecessary frustration from unpacking, installing and repacking cameras you don’t need. And if you’re not the handiest person in your home, you may want to pay attention to easy base installations versus those that require dragging out a ladder and a tool belt.
Once you’re prepared for the camera that makes sense for your home, check out these 12 options below to see if they fit the bill.
Top-Rated Home Security Cameras
$199.99 in stock
- 【Plug & Play and Easy Setup】The wireless cameras are paired with the NVR system at manufacturing site. Just power on and serve yourself with 24/7 surveillance. Perfect for villa, home, office, shop, hotel, warehouse, school, business or elsewhere you wish. (Refer to the manual for further usage)
- 【IP66 Weatherproof Security Camera】 Records in 1080P HD to capture crisp images, provide HD live video, ensures smooth footage day and night with 2.0 Megapixel bullet cameras. Up to 65ft Night Vision. The IP cameras are rated as dust-tight and waterproof. Best choice for your outdoor home security
- 【Motion Detection and Email Alert】Smart notifications with email/ snapshot alerts will be pushed to your smartphone when motion is detected. Customize your own detection plan and zone for each camera, you will get extra peace of mind by receiving instant alerts and get notified of what's happening
- 【Mobile Remote Viewing】 Connect the NVR to router then download free app ''IP Pro'' into your Phone, Pad, or PC. You can remote access simultaneously on smart devices at any time, anywhere with Wi-Fi/ 2G/ 3G/ 4G. You will never miss out on a moment with remote and local playback, no matter where you are
- 【Robust Quality and Service】We always stand by your side to help you If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. The expandable system can support up to 8 cameras. Comes with 1x 8-channel NVR and 4 x wireless IP cameras. Additional cameras can be purchased on our front store: CA01 Extra camera
This Wi-Fi surveillance camera is motion-alert activated and allows for remote access so you can see what’s going on in your home, even if you’re not there.
- 24/7 recording
- Waterproof (-20 degrees Celsius, or -4 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Wireless signal repeater (Wi-Fi, 2G, 3G, 4G)
With no hard disk needed, this 1080P HD dusk-tight camera can record crisp images, provide HD live video during the day and at night, and is a 2.0 megapixel bullet camera.
Enjoy up to 65 feet of night vision. For business travelers or those who just want to keep an extra eye on their homes, a detection plan can be set up for instant notifications
- Night vision
- Expandable system can support up to eight cameras
- Hard drive not included
- Wireless Internet connection still requires plugging in power supply
When it arrives, connect the NVR to your router, and download the free app “IP Pro” into your personal computer, pad, or smartphone.
- Extended battery life – 2 year battery life on two AA lithium batteries with a combination of two-way talk, live view, and motion recording. Double the usage of the XT on a single set of batteries when recording video.
- 2-way audio – Talk to visitors through the Blink app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Customizable motion detection – Use activity zones to choose where motion is detected so you receive the alerts that matter.
- Free cloud storage – Keep hundreds of clips stored up to a year with no monthly fees or service contract required.
- Works with Alexa – View live streams, motion clips, arm and disarm your system, and set up smart reorders for batteries through select Alexa-enabled devices.
This camera doesn’t just let you see people and buzz them in. You can have two-way conversations through the Blink app on your smartphone and tablet. Just place or mount it inside or outside in a suitable area.
- Four camera kit options (one, two, three, five)
- Two-way audio
- Combination of two-way talk, live view, motion recording
With its customizable motion detection and 110-degree diagonal angle, you can see strange activity as soon as it happens. View live streams, motion clips, set up smart reorders for batteries, and disarm your system with an Alexa-enabled device.
With up to 1080p HD video during the day and infrared HD night vision at night, this camera is suitable for day and night coverage.
- Extended battery life (two-years on two AA lithium batteries)
- Free cloud storage included (up to one year with no monthly fees or service contract required)
- One reviewer reported not being able to see more than 25 feet from his router
- Two-way audio in conflict with motion detector (guest must be absolutely still for it to work, according to one reviewer)
If you’re not thrilled about the idea of wires or hiring a professional for installation setup, no worries. There are no tools or wiring needed. It’s also covered by a one-year limited warranty and service included.
Reolink 16CH 5MP PoE
2 used from $662.39
- 【5 Megapixels & 100ft Night Vision】2560x1920 super HD detailed image and up to 100ft night vision video monitoring, 3,000,000 more pixels than 1080P, 300% more detailed than 720P. You will truely get rid of struggling to see the details with 720P or 1080P analog videos.
- 【Plug & Play PoE System】Taking out the 60ft network cables from the video surveillance kit and connect the security cameras to the NVR ports, you can see the security camera system working with videos immediately via HDMI monitor. It is as easy as analog camera kit.
- 【Stable & Lossless Video Quality】Unlike CCTV DVR system, videos from the IP camera system will not be degraded or destroyed by cables. The digital signal will keep real 5mp high definition image via 300ft CAT6 ethernet cables. You will have no worry about the coaxial cable quality for DVR and analog cameras that will affect much on its image, even within 100ft.
- 【HDD Storage & Remote Playback】With pre-installed 3TB HDD, it can keep around 7 days of 24/7 videos for 8 cameras simultaneously without overwriting. Without opening the NVR casing, you can add one external 4TB HDD via its e-SATA port. With FREE Reolink app. for android and iPhone, all videos in the HDD can be playback remotely in your hand anywhere anytime.
- 【Reolink 4MP & 5MP Cams Compatible】With 16 PoE ports on the NVR video recorder, the security system is expandable to work with maximum 16 Reolink poe, wifi, fixed lens, Autofocus, bullet, dome, 4MP or 5MP cameras.
With remote access from anywhere and 24/7 recording, this security camera system works with videos immediately via its HDMI monitor.
- 5 PM 16-Channel NVR Security System
- 3TB HDD for 7/24 Recording
- 80-degree viewing angle
With a 2560 x 1920 super HD detailed image and up to 100 feet for night vision video monitoring, this security camera should be able to provide clear viewing—up to 3 million more pixels than 1080P, with 300 percent more detail than 720P.
The digital system will keep real 5mp high-definition image via its 300-foot CAT6 ethernet cables. It can keep approximately 7 days of 24/7 videos for eight cameras simultaneously, without overwriting.
- Metal housing and lid provides waterproof protection
- Daylight sensor with day/night auto-switch
- Requires some installation knowledge; not just a sit-and-plug camera
- One reviewer’s camera had a short in it and burned where the ethernet/power cable plugs in
This camera is backed by a two-year warranty from its original purchase date. Any defective unit (within the warranty period) will be repaired without charge for parts or labor or replaced at the sole discretion of Reolink.
$54.99 in stock
1 used from $45.99
- 1080P Full HD & 360° Pan/tilt : Goowls outdoor security camera offers 1080P live streaming from anywhere. Night vision lets you see up to 32 ft in absolute darkness with 12 infrared (IR) LEDs. Providing 355°horizontal and 110°vertical rotation range. You can see every angle of your room by your phone.
- Wifi connection & Ethernet Port: Goowls wifi camera supports both 2.4 GHz Wifi and additional RJ-45 Ethernet Port. Signal cover range up to 20 meters with Ethernet cable. No worried about the unstable Wifi network. (Not support 5G network).
- Smart motion detection & two way storage: Alert notification and 6s video will be sent to your phone timely, just open Goowls app to view what's going on. SD card and Cloud Storage are optional. Cloud servers assigned in the United States to protect your privacy maximum.
- Two-way Audio & Works with Alexa: Goowls outdoor camera wireless built-in microphone & speaker offers you to talk with your love one and get rid of unwanted guests when you are out. Works with Alexa Echo Show. Just saying "Alexa, show me the front door", the scene will be displayed on the Echo show.
- IP65 waterproof & dustproof: IP65 excellent waterproof and dustproof function is the best choice for outdoor use. Use high-quality materials to ensure safe use in the temperature range of 14 ° F to 113 ° F(-10℃ to 45℃). Whether it's rain or shine, It can keep recording.
This outdoor surveillance camera, with night vision, allows you to monitor all activity at your door and have two-way audio conversations as needed.
- 1080P full HD and wide-angle
- RJ-45 Ethernet port
- TF card slot/reset button
This wireless camera with a 360-degree pan/tilt moves by motion detection and has alert cloud service. With 12 infrared LED lights, this camera has a night-vision distance of up to 32 feet.
The 110-vertical rotation range allows your camera to cover more spaces and reduce blind areas. It supports 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi and an additional RJ-45 ethernet port, with a signal receiving range of up to 20 meters.
- IP65 waterproof (stand temperature range from 14 degrees Fahrenheit
- Automatically tries to solve unstable Wi-Fi network
- Does not support 5G network
- One reviewer reported it constantly became unpaired
Compatible with Alexa Echo Show, this camera can be used to show any scene within your home and it instantly pops up via the Echo show. The warranty policy is not immediately clear, so please ask ahead of time.
Ring Indoor Cam
- Compact plug-in indoor camera that lets you see, hear and speak to people and pets from your phone, tablet, or select Echo device.
- Watch over your entire home by connecting one or multiple Indoor Cams to all your Ring devices in the Ring app.
- With a Ring Protect Plan (subscription sold separately), record all your videos, review what you missed for up to 60 days, and share videos and photos.
- With Live View, you can check in on your home any time through the Ring app.
- Easily setup your Indoor Cam by plugging into a standard outlet and connecting to Wi-Fi.
Keep track of what’s going on in your home with numerous devices, including your smartphone, tablet or select Echo device. Connect one or more multiple indoor Cams to your Ring device in the Ring app, too.
- Compact plug-in indoor camera
- HD security camera
- Two-way talk
In either a one-pack or two-pack, use this camera to record all your videos, review what was missed for up to 60 days, and share videos and photos with Live View, check out what’s going in your home any time you like. Place on a flat surface or mount the camera to a wall with the versatile mounting bracket.
- Easily installed in a standard outlet
- Easily setup indoor Cam
- Ring Protection Plan sold separately
- Recorded sound may be spotty, according to one reviewer
This camera is covered by a one-year limited warranty and service included.
$142.99 in stock
4 used from $139.99
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately); Audio not supported
- Patented 100 percent Wire Free design for easy placement anywhere
- Night vision cameras work even in the dark
- Motion activated cameras w/ Email or App notifications- Records and alerts only when motion is detected with 7 days of free rolling cloud storage
- Indoor/outdoor weather resistant cameras Wireless range: 300+ feet line of sight
This Arlo camera has nightly vision, and can be used indoors and outdoors. This patented 100 percent wire-free design can be placed anywhere.
- Cloud storage
- Base station (required)
- HD video (720p resolution)
Invest in a variety of camera kits (one camera, two cameras, three cameras, four cameras, five cameras). No matter which one you choose, the motion-activated cameras will record and alert when motion is detected within seven days of free rolling cloud storage.
The wireless range should be able to show you anything within a 300-foot line of sight. It can operate at a temperature as low as 14 degrees or as high as 122 degrees Fahrenheit, at a focus range (ST) and fixed focus of 2 feet to infinity.
- Allows email and/or app notifications
- Can contact emergency responders from the smartphone’s lock screen (with an optional one-month-free-trial service)
- Audio not supported
- Batteries are not rechargeable
Keep in mind that the standard Arlo camera and the Arlo Pro are two separate products. The Alexa device and voice control are also sold separately.
$139.99 in stock
2 used from $104.99
- 【Plug & Play and Easy Setup】Connect cameras, display screen and router to DVR with the provided cables, and then power for cameras and DVR for 24/ 7 surveillance purposes. This video recorder system supports video preview, recording, sync-playback, backup
- 【IP66 Weatherproof Camera】 Records in 1080P HD to capture crisp images, provide HD live video day and night. Up to 65ft Night Vision. The IP cameras are rated as dust-tight and waterproof from -4°F--122°F. Best choice for outdoor home security
- 【Motion Alert and Face Detection】Smart notifications with email/ snapshot alerts will be pushed to your phone when the camera detects the human face or shape or motion. Get peace of mind by receiving instant alerts and get notified of what's happening
- 【Privacy Protection and Mobile Viewing】Conceal parts of the image from the live view to protecting your privacy. You can remote access simultaneously on smart Phone, Pad, and PC with Wi-Fi/ 2G/ 3G/ 4G any time, no matter where you are
- 【Expandable Operation and Service】The expandable system can support up to 8 cameras. Comes with 1x 8CH DVR and 4 x IP cameras. You can add more 4pcs 1080P or 5MP cameras. We always stand by our side and ready to help you if you have any questions
This home security system with DVR can be operated indoors and outdoors with night vision.
- Outdoor waterproof camera
- Motion-alert activation
- Smart devices supported (with 24/7 recording and playback)
Whether in colorful day vision or clear night vision, this Plug & Play camera has easy setup options. Just connect the cameras, display screen and router to the DVR with the provided cables, and then power up the cameras and DVR to receive 24/7 surveillance footage.
This video recorder system supports video preview, recording, sync-playback, backup, motion detection and email alarm. It records in 1080P HD, and captures sharp and crisp images with 2.0 megapixel bullet cameras.
At night, it can see as far as 65 feet in night vision. Intended to minimize false alarms, this HeimVision wireless surveillance system can be customized with its own detection plan and zone for each camera.
- Face detection
- Remote access
- HDD not included
- Must buy an extra 3.5-inch hard drive for recording (support Max 6TB hard drive)
This camera option can be used to conceal parts of the image from the live view to protect one’s privacy. Use remote access simultaneously on smart devices (IOS/Android) at any time.
3 used from $81.87
- Large Capacity Battery & Enhanced Antenna: Outdoor camera has a built-in 10400mAh battery (4*18650), which can be used for 3-6 months after being fully charged (supports 2.4GHz). Upgraded enhanced antenna wifi camera with advanced wireless antennas to receive stronger wifi signals.
- PIR Motion Detection & Two Way Audio: Surveillance camera adopted PIR sensors with flexible motion sensitivity to avoid false alarms caused by insects. You will receive a notification on your phone once any movement of human is detected. Built-in microphones and speakers allow you to communicate with people in front of the camera no matter where you are.
- 1080P HD & Night vision: 1080P camera resolution of 1920 x 1080 clearly shows every detail with a viewing angle of 120 ° and a visible range of 50 feet, which can greatly reduce blind spots. With the 4x digital zoom function, you can easily identify the license plate number. The IR light automatically turns on night vision mode when ambient light is low to ensure you are visible in the dark.
- IP65 Weatherproof：Battery camera adopts a durable and sealed design that it's the best choice both indoors and outdoors. IP65 camera can withstand a temperature range of -20 ° C to 60 ° C and can work normally even in extreme weather such as a snowstorm.
- 100% Wireless Easy Installation: Wireless security camera is battery-powered to get rid of the wired camera wiring trouble. Equipped with a metal bracket, the installation position is not limited, and it can be installed anywhere you want in just a few minutes.
This outdoor security camera is a 1080P Wi-Fi surveillance camera that is suitable for nights. This camera, which can be used for three to six months after a full charge (2.4GHz), has advanced wireless antennas to receive stronger Wi-Fi signals.
- Enhanced 4DB antenna
- Large capacity battery
- PIR motion sensor and accurate alerts
Powered by a wireless rechargeable battery, this 10400mAh camera has two-way audio. With a PIR motion detection and two-way audio, this surveillance camera has adopted PIR sensors with flexible motion sensitivity to avoid false alarms (commonly associated with insects and sometimes rodents).
You will receive a mobile notification when activity is detected. The built-in microphone allows people to communicate in front of the camera no matter the location, and can be seen from a viewing angle of 120 degrees and a visible range of 50 feet.
- Reduces false alarms and push alarm messages
- IP65 waterproof
- Warranty policy unclear
- The recording option for footage may have a delay and require the camera to be on
Weatherproof and with a durable battery camera, this indoor/outdoor option can handle extreme weather and even snowstorms. Skipping all the usual wiring helps; just use the battery-powered wireless security camera as is. It can be installed anywhere within a matter of minutes.
$35.99 in stock
1 used from $25.37
- ✅【1080P FHD Camera & IR Night Vision】This indoor security camera has 1080P high-definition display; With 2 infrared night vision LED lights, support 10m infrared distance, provide a clearer image even at night; With 355°horizontal & 90°vertically rotation range, you can monitor wherever you want, no blind zone.
- ✅【Smart Motion Detection & Auto Tracking】This pet camera monitor has Intelligent tracking, movement & sound detection; when the moving object or sound like baby crying is tested, an alarm sound will be issued and sent to your phone; It can be used to monitor babies, nanny and pets, and it can also be used for home security monitor.
- ✅【Two-way Intercom & Remote Control】Achieve two-way intercom all day; With high-quality speaker microphone and noise reduction technology, support smooth and clear calls; Can share with multiple users; Remote control, support pan/tilt/zoom to play back video.
- ✅【Cloud Service & Local Storage】You can get one month free trial cloud service to avoid the risk of losing footage from a memory card,you can save videos and screenshot, watch playbacks,all your data and video are safely protection; Max support 64GB (TF card not included) for local storage.The lens of the camera is adjustable up and down, when you need to use TF card , please pull the lens up ,you will find the TF card slot.
- ✅【Fast WIFI Connection & Installation】This IP security camera Only supports 2.4GHz Wi-Fi to connect via mobile App YI IOT(iOS/Android) for an easy and quick setup. Scan QR Code to download on App Store or Google Play;
Whether you’re looking for the best nanny cam for a baby or for your mischievous pet, this indoor camera can pan, tilt and zoom as needed to help you feel more safe when away from home.
- Two-way audio intercom and remote control
- 1080P high-definition display
- Wireless Smart Wi-Fi Camera
This indoor security camera has two infrared night vision LED lights. It supports 10m infrared distance, and has a 355-degree horizontal and 90-degree vertical rotation range. With two-way audio, this also doubles as a fun pet camera monitor with intelligent tracking, movement and sound detection.
Whether it’s for barking or a baby crying, an alarm sound will be sent to your phone. The noise reduction technology will help to create smooth and clear calls that can be shared with multiple users.
- Clearer images even at night
- High-quality speaker microphone
- Warranty policy is unclear on site
- Camera works with associated apps only
This camera purchase also includes a one-month free trial cloud service to avoid losing footage from a memory card. Save videos, screenshots, watch playbacks, and safely view all data and video.
Google Nest Cam
$109.31 in stock
18 used from $95.99
- 24/7 live stream video in full 1080p HD over WiFi. Check in from anywhere at any time. Send clips to family or friends in 1920x1080 resolution.
- Night vision featuring 8 high-power infrared LEDs provide light for clear video in the darkest conditions.
- Mobile alerts and notifications let you know as soon as your camera spots activity. Take action or save the event for sharing later. 3-hour snapshot history makes sure you don't miss a thing.
- Industry-leading security means that your video feed and information is well protected. Enable two-factor authentication and take your account protection to the next level.
- Free trial of Nest Aware for 30-days. Experience 10-day video history, intelligent alerts and activity zones. Keep the service starting at $6 per month for your Nest devices after the trial ends.
This nest indoor camera provides 24/7 live video with night vision and two-way talking. With two-factor authentication, you can also make sure your footage is especially safe.
- 1080p HD
- Night vision
- Mobile intelligent alerts
This Google security camera is made to check in from anywhere at any time. You can send clips to family or friends in 1920 x 1080 resolution, in the case that you want a safe space for security footage.
For business travelers and for people who live in multiple cities, the option to send this footage easily may come in handy for check-in visits, too. With eight high-power infrared LEDs for night vision, you can view clear video in the darkest conditions.
- Three-hour event snapshot
- Works with Google Assistant and Alexa
- Triple-check warranty policy before purchase to make sure it is two years, not 30 days
- False alerts notifications are only active if you subscribe to the Nest Aware monthly subscription service
If you are not satisfied with this product, you can return it in its original condition within 30 days for a full refund with the manufacturer’s warranty. However, Amazon has extended the return option to a two-year limited warranty.
4 used from $18.91
- Optional 24/7 Emergency Response Service - YI’s motion alerts and live video feeds are now equipped with the option to instantly involve Noon light's Certified Emergency Dispatchers, who coordinate with police, fire, and EMS agencies on customers’ behalf to ensure the situation is promptly handled.
- Adjustable Alert Frequency: AI powered human detected alert or motion detected alerts can be set by sensitivity levels from high to low. Eliminates 'false positives' caused by flying insects, small pets, or light changes. You’ll only be alerted for the moments that matter
- Works With Alexa - Officially Alexa compatible and works with any screen-based Alexa device. You can use the Alexa Skill to turn on your camera or view its live feed with a simple voice command.
- Reliable Wi-Fi Connectivity - Access your camera with our mobile / PC APP anytime and anywhere, more flexible with Home/Away mode. Allows sharing your camera with up to 5 family members or friends, and view multiple cameras on a single account. 9 live feeds on pc app is available now. Built-in support for 2.4Ghz (5Ghz currently not supported) Wi-Fi band.
- Cloud & Local Storage: Six second motion-triggered video clips will be safely stored on the Cloud for 7 days for free. For local storage, micro SD-cards up to 64GB are supported (micro SD-card not included).
Detect people in motion at up to 20 frames per second (fps), and send activity alerts with the help of the AI technology on this camera. You can even view the camera livestream with an Echo Show.
- Indoor IP security surveillance system
- Night vision
- Phone/personal computer app with cloud service (safely stored on the cloud for seven days for free)
Use a micro SD card (4GB to 64GB) for local storage on this camera. This camera includes non-invasive night vision with a clear view of up to 9 meters with adjustable infrared (IR) light. IR Light On is for pitch dark, and IR Light Off is for low light.
There is also an optional 24/7 emergency response service, including YI’s motion alerts and live video feeds with the option to instantly involve Noon light’s Certified Emergency Dispatchers, who coordinate with police, fire and EMS agencies on customers’ behalf.
- Artificial intelligence-powered human detection alerts or motion-detected alerts (sensitivity from high to low)
- Works with Alexa
- Micro SD card not included
- Warranty policy is unclear on the site; ask buyer ahead of time
Eliminate false positives from movement that cannot be helped, such as flying insects, small pets or light changes. You’ll only be alerted to relevant and unfamiliar movement.
- [AI Motion Detection]:Victure Outdoor Security Camera Is An AI Floodlight Camera Equipped With Dual Motion Detection And Built-In AI Suspicious Intrusion Detection Algorithm,Avoiding False Alarms,Such As Dogs,Cats,Birds Or Falling Leaves,Only The Humanoid Objects Can Trigger The Video Recording And Pushing Alert
- [1080P, 2MP full HD&Ultra-bright light]:The Security Camera Equipped With 2000lm Ultra-Bright LED Light.You Can Control Light By APP Or It Will Trigger When Detect Human Approaching.1080p HD Resolution And 127°Field Of View Can See More Clearly And Widely,Color Image For Day And Night
- [Two-Way Audio And Siren Alarm]:Victure Floodlight Camera Equipped With Speaker And Microphone,Let You Talk To The Deliver Or Visitor More Easy And Convenient ,The Siren Alarm Will Warn And Deter the Intruders
- [Waterproof And Two storage]:Victure Outdoor Security Camera Is With IP55 Waterproof So That It Can Work Normally In The Outside,The Security Camera Support Two Way Storage .Cloud storage/ TF Card Motion Records, Max 64GB(The SD Card Was Not Included The Package)
- [Easy Installation And After-Seller Service]:The Victure Floodlight Camera Equipped With The Hook And Accessories To Make It Install Easy And Soon,No Matter Problem You Met,Please Connect Our After Seller Service ,We Will Reply You Soon And Help You Solve It
This outdoor floodlight camera is motion-activated with a field of view up to 127 degrees.
- 1080p HD resolution
- Two-way audio (built-in microphone and speaker)
- 2MP full HD and ultra-bright light
Avoid false alarms from pets, falling leaves, flying birds, and insects. With this AI-motion detection, this security camera will only keep track of human objects that should trigger the video recording and pushing alerts.
Equipped with 2000lm ultra-bright LED light, you can control light by the mobile app. The siren alarm will warn and deter intruders from coming any closer.
- 1P55 waterproof
- Color image for day and night
- Warranty policy is unclear; double-check with buyer first
- Motion detection requires users to unclick the areas they don’t want monitored instead of automatically recognizing these things and monitoring new objects
This camera should be easy to install with an after-seller service that promises to reply soon with resolutions.
What to look out for before buying a Security camera
Every home is different when it comes to surveillance needs. In rural communities where wildlife commonly runs by, there will probably be more activity in the yard. It is up to the user to decide whether to be notified of every deer, squirrel or even cow going by is worth it. If the goal is to keep track of animals in the garden or on a farm (or other locations), then this makes sense. But if the goal is to only keep track of unfamiliar human activity, it is a better idea to find a camera that either allows users to identify what they don’t want to see. Or, put the camera in such a place where regular movement (and constantly annoying alerts) won’t become a nuisance.
The same rules apply for dogs. If you let your dog run around outside in the backyard all day, chances are he won’t just sleep on the steps. Any kind of action that catches his attention will make the video camera start moving, whether it’s inside or outside. Unless your dog is in a crate, expect movement. So before purchasing any camera, pay special attention to what is already moving in your home. Then you can narrow down the specifications for what you need.
One of the more ideal places to put your camera is in an area where one would expect to find suspicious activity (front door, gangway door or back door [without a loose pet]). Pay attention to the street lights here. While there are cameras that claim to view night footage in fps or at a specified horizontal or vertical degree angle, at night or during the day, bad lighting in your neighborhood can make or break this viewer footage. If you’re on a street that poor street lighting, make sure the LED lights more than make up for it. The same rules apply in a dark garage walkway area or backyard. Know where the lighting is best and where it could be better; this will help you decide what features sound nice and which ones should be mandatory for your security surveillance.
Now that you have a general idea of what kind of lighting you’ll need and how to avoid false alarms, the last thing you’ll want to make sure of is whether your current technology is compatible with the camera’s. If you will need an upgraded phone, app or personal computer, and already want one, this isn’t a big deal. But if the software for this camera requires a bigger expense for technology you already use, it may not be worth it.
Find out the compatibility of the add-ons first, and whether you want to purchase them, and then proceed from that point. There may be some cameras that have free trial periods for you to check out their available software. Pay attention to the trial period, as well as the window for returns or exchanges.
Utilize the trial period immediately to make sure it’s even worth it. If you find that the camera’s software is not ideal for your needs, do yourself a favor and return before you’re stuck with a surveillance camera that doesn’t meet all of your expectations. Find one that has all the features that you actually want instead of cool features that you’ll never use.
From the 12 cameras above, hopefully you can find a camera that does everything you need to make you feel safe. With proper lighting, less likelihood of false alarms and features that are compatible with your needs, your surveillance camera should be what puts you at ease while on business or leisure trips, at work, or with guests in your home. Whether it’s the new dogsitter, nanny or housesitter (or all of the above), you should be able to feel comfortable with this person in your home. (Note: It is a good idea to let them know that they’re being watched. In some states, it is illegal to film someone without their knowledge. It could also risk some embarrassing footage on their end if they’re unaware that they’re being filmed while doing non-threatening things.) You should also feel comfortable with no one at home, and hopefully it stays that way.
Everyone has their own reasons for having surveillance cameras. Some homeowners are trying to figure out what animals are eating up their vegetables and plants. Others are trying to nail down the porch package pirate. And still others may be seeing an increase in questionable behavior in their neighborhoods. You have a right to protect your home the best way you know how. Here’s hoping these options are the extra eyes you need to give you some peace of mind.
For all your home and lifestyle needs, visit the Lifestyle Reviews homepage!
Home Security System
Choosing the best home security camera for your situation is easy with our detailed reviews!
Blink XT2 Outdoor/Indoor
Reolink 16CH 5MP PoE
Google Nest Cam