Age is but a number, but bodies do not follow that rule as much as our minds do. When cats hit a certain age, their bodies start to slow down and change. When that happens, the food your cat has been eating may not be the best quality for them due to having a high protein source, not enough vitamins, or several other reasons. To ensure that your cat is still getting the healthy food source that their bodies need they will need the best cat food for older cats.
The best cat food for senior cats is tailored explicitly for senior cat health to benefit them inside and out. You need to be sure that these senior cat food formulas will not hinder your senior cast but, instead, give them rejuvenated energy so that they feel and act like a kitten again. The list we have put together are great senior cat food formulas to choose from.
Best Cat Food For Older Cats
Nutro Senior Dry Cat Food
$10.84 in stock
- Contains one (1) 3 lb. bag of NUTRO WHOLESOME ESSENTIALS Senior Cat Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Natural Cat Food Plus Vitamins, Minerals, & Other Nutrients
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient in this delicious older cat food that’s rich in nutrients and full of flavor
- Fortified with essential nutrients like taurine to support heart health in aging cats, as well as antioxidants for healthy immunity
- Made with non-GMO ingredients* from trusted farmers and suppliers (* Trace amounts of genetically modified material may be present due to potential cross-contact during manufacturing.)
- NO corn, wheat, or soy protein, NO chicken by-product meal, NO artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors… just real food for your mature cat to enjoy
Make sure that your senior has all of the essentials that their older bodies need by feeding them Nutro Essentials Indoor Cat Formula.
- Animal protein is the first ingredient
- Has essential antioxidants
- Formulated specifically for senior cats
The first ingredients of this cat food formula are chicken and chicken meal, which means that your senior cat will have an optimal protein source that is easy for them to digest. A blend of whole grains adds essential fibers that help your senior cat maintain a healthy digestive system.
This food also offers essential antioxidants for a healthy immune system, plus vitamins, minerals and other nutrients to support your cat’s overall body health. The addition of taurine helps support the heart health of senior cats, which is essential to ensure that your cat has a longer and healthier life.
As well, this senior cat food formula is rich in Omega-6 fatty acids from natural oils that will give your cat softer fur and smoother skin, which means less shedding and less dandruff.
- Packed with essential nutrients for senior cats
- Promotes healthy body
- Has NON-GMO ingredients
- Contains grains so not ideal for cats with grain allergies
A slight trace of genetically modified material may be present due to potential cross contact during manufacturing
Your indoor senior cat may not be able to eat like they used to, but Nutro Essentials Indoor Cat Formula will ensure they are getting all of the nutrients that they need.
Halo Natural Dry Cat Food
- COMPARE: WHOLE chicken, never ANY rendered "meat meal," like "chicken meal" or "fish meal"
- Super digestibility, providing more bioavailable nutrients to your senior cat, the Proof is in the Poop
- Grain free senior cat food made with WHOLE chicken and chicken liver, lentils, and non-GMO vegetables, supporting the changing metabolism and activity level of older cats
- Lower in calories and fat, increased fiber, and higher level of high quality protein compared to other Halo adult recipes supports lean body mass loss
- Halo supports ranchers and farmers who say "yes" to responsible animal husbandry and "no" to the use of GMO feeds, and sources wild caught seafood from sustainable fisheries.
Provide your senior cat with dry food that makes them feel spoiled, which is what Halo Grain-Free Senior Cat Dry Food is all about.
- Animal protein is the first ingredient
- Super digestible
- Has no added chemicals or hormones
- Ideal for senior cats
Every ingredient used in this senior cat formula is farm raised to ensure quality and prevent any harmful chemicals from being used. That means that there are no hormones, antibiotics, artificial flavors, or preservatives used, which can be harmful to cats, especially senior ones.
Whole chicken and chicken liver are always used along with non-GMO vegetables and fruits; no meat meal is ever used. Senior cats need a specific formula that will work with their body and provide them the right amount of nutrients that their aging bodies need.
You will be sure that your senior cat’s changing metabolism will be well supported alongside with providing the right amount of protein for their lower energy levels. Better yet, this diet is ideal for senior cats as it is easier for them to digest an have better poops at the end of the day.
- Uses Non-GMO vegetables
- Uses farm-raised ingredients
- Has added vitamins senior cats need
- Comes in Chicken and Chicken Liver and Wild Salmon and Whitefish formulas
- Some customers have claimed their cat did not like the flavors
Make your senior cat feel like the angel you see them as by feeding them Halo Grain-Free Senior Cat Dry Food.
Merrick Senior Dry Cat Food
- #1 Ingredient Real Deboned Chicken
- This Recipe Is Rich In Omega Fatty Acids For Healthy Skin And Fur, Contains Added Fiber For Hairball Control And Is Fortified With Vitamins, Minerals, Probiotics, And Antioxidants
- Grain-Free Recipe With No Gluten Ingredients, Artificial Colors, Flavors, Or Preservatives
- Ideal For Adults Cats 7 Years And Older
- Cooked In The Usa.
Your senior cat will purr with happiness when you start feeding them Merrick Purrfect Bistro Healthy Senior Recipe.
- Deboned chicken is the first ingredient
- Uses fresh produce
- Rich in Omega Fatty Acids
- Grain-Free formula
Merrick’s Senior Cat formula is specially formulated for cats that reach the seven-year mark. It is a grain free diet high in quality protein with moderate fat levels and low levels of carbohydrates as well as fortified with vitamins, minerals, probiotics, and antioxidants ideal for supporting senior health.
Deboned chicken is the first ingredient, which is a high quality and easy to digest protein that makes up 70% of this formula. The remaining 30% of the formula is made up of fresh produce that provides easy to digest carbohydrates that are essential to support sustained energy without upsetting the sensitive digestive systems older cats tend to have.
Since this formula is rich in Omega fatty acids to reduce inflammation and help keep your cats’ fur and skin soft; the added fiber can also help with hairball control if your cat is prone to having hairball issues.
- Easy to digest carbohydrates
- Made in the USA
- Provides hairball control
- Customers have reported their cat not wanting to eat this dry food due to the flavor
- Contains chicken and turkey, so not ideal for cats with poultry allergies
Be sure that your senior cat gets all of the nutrients that their aging bodies need by feeding them Merrick Purrfect Bistro Healthy Senior Recipe.
Solid Gold Dry Cat Food
- Contains (1) 6 lb bag of solid gold winged tiger quail & pumpkin Recipe
- Holistic dry cat Food ideal for less active, Adult and mature/senior cats of all sizes.
- Egg protein with essential amino acids to support your pet; s muscle growth and metabolism.
- Age range description: All Life Stages
If you are looking for a super high-quality cat food that will keep your senior cat as healthy as possible, then you need to feed them Solid Gold Holistic Dry Food.
- Grain-free and gluten-free
- Well-balanced nutrition for senior cats
- Animal protein is the first ingredient used
- Taps into your cat’s wilder instincts
Solid Gold is one of the few cat foods out there that can claim that it is entirely grain-free and gluten-free, which is perfect for cats who tend to have food allergies or skin sensitivities. Quail is the first ingredient on this senior cat diet, and it acts as a great and lean source of protein that will not risk your cat becoming overweight due to a less active lifestyle.
The addition of fiber rich pumpkin helps your cat have a healthy digestive system as well as helps their stomach stay calm and happy through food transitions if you were to be switching your cat to this diet from another. Your cat will also be eating a rich blend of fruits, vegetables, and added vitamins that give your cat all of the nutritional content that they need in order to have a healthy and sustained body inside and out.
- Available in 3lb and 6lb bags
- Ideal for cats of all sizes
- Aids in a healthy digestive system
- Only for cats with moderate energy levels
- Customers have reported that it upset their cat’s stomach
Your senior cat will feel like their wilder relatives when they eat Solid Gold Holistic Dry Food.
Blue Buffalo Mature Dry Cat Food
$22.98 in stock
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo dry cat food always features real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your cat maintain strong muscles; Plus, it contains wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- FOR MATURE CATS: BLUE Healthy Aging mature cat food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to satisfy energy requirements for a healthy lifestyle; Plus, it contains taurine to support heart and eye health in aging cats
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health
- NATURAL CAT FOOD: BLUE dry cat food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 7-lb. bag of BLUE Healthy Aging Natural Mature Dry Cat Food, Chicken & Brown Rice
Blue Buffalo Healthy Aging Mature Dry Food only uses the best quality ingredients to ensure your senior cat will be as healthy as possible.
- Chicken is the first ingredient
- Has exclusive LifeSource Bits
- Contains all of the nutrients senior cats need
- Promotes a healthy body inside and out
Delicious, protein-rich chicken is the first ingredient of this senior cat diet. No by-product or meals are used to ensure the optimal amount of proteins and nutrients that cats need. Whole grains and vegetables further add nutrients that are essential for the overall health of your older cat.
Since this is a Blue Buffalo formula, it includes Blue’s Exclusive LifeSource Bits. These LifeSource bits are a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that promote a healthy immune system provides all the requirements for the specific life stage, and gives your cat a prime source for oxidatives.
Alongside with a healthy immune system, your senior cat will have better muscles, healthier eyes and heart, an optimal digestive system, healthy skin and coat, and have the right amount of energy a less active senior cat needs.
- Comes in 3lb, 5lb, and 7lb bag options
- Provides ideal energy source for a less active senior cat
- Contains no corn, wheat, or soy
- Cat owners have stated their cats had upset stomachs after feeding them this formula
- Contains grains
If you are already feeding your cat Blue Buffalo then transitioning them to Blue Buffalo Healthy Aging Mature Dry Food will be an easier transition on their stomachs.
Nulo Senior Dry Cat Food
- SELECT AN AMOUNT : Bags are available in small 5 pound and large 12 pound sizes
- IDEAL FOR SENIOR CATS - Senior cats require plenty of nutrition from poultry and fish
- FIT & ACTIVE - Nulo goes beyond grain-free by using healthy ingredients such as whole peas & lentils to promote staying power
- HIGH ANIMAL-BASED PROTEIN - 78% protein from animal sources, Nulo’s special blend Alaska Pollock & Duck provides plenty of the animal-based proteins
- PATENTED PROBIOTIC - Alaska Pollock & Duck supports digestive & immune health, providing plenty animal-based proteins helping senior cats thrive
Give your senior cat a dry food specifically made to support their older bodies by feeding them Nulo Freestyles Grain-Free Senior Cat Food.
- High animal-based protein source
- Promotes healthy weight
- Easy to eat kibble sizes
The first three ingredients of Nulo’s Senior Cat Formula are an animal protein, in this case being pollock, chicken meal, and turkey meal, which provide your senior cat with 76% of the animal protein that their bodies need.
This formula has no grains and is low in carbohydrates, which is known for adding extra pounds on less active cats. Since older cats may have lost a few teeth or just do not have the same jaw strength as they did before, Nulo made their kibble sizes into a smaller disk size with a texture that appeals to your cat’s mouth better.
Each kibble is packed with probiotics, antioxidants, Vitamin A, Taurine, and essential Omega Fatty Acids that senior cats need. The addition of L-Carnitine and Miscanthus Grass helps support overall healthy body weight in your cat.
- Comes in 5lb and 12lb bag sizes
- Packed with essential prebiotics and probiotics
- Low in carbs
- Contains chicken, so not ideal for cats with poultry allergies
You will be sure that your cat will have a diet that they will enjoy eating that also supports their overall body healthy by feeding them Nulo Freestyles Grain-Free Senior Cat Food.
Hill's Wet Cat Food
- High quality protein to help your senior cat maintain muscle
- Made with purposeful, easily digestible ingredients mature cats enjoy
- Mouthwatering chunks with tender tuna with key nutrients to support your older cat's stage of life
- Scrumptious wet food made with natural ingredients
- Add variety to meal time with Hill's Science Diet Adult 7+ Tender Chicken Dinner
Even though you have a senior cat, it does not mean that they should be denied the tasty flavor of some wet food. Give them a wet food catered to their age, like Hill’s Science Diet Senior Wet Food.
- Ideal for senior cats over seven years of age
- Soft cat food for older cats
- Easy to digest
Chicken is amongst the top four ingredients of this wet food for a high protein source. There is a blend of other animal protein sources, making this wet food palatable and enjoyable for cats all around. This wet food contains a prime source of phosphorus, which helps in kidney health since cats are not always the best at drinking water on their own.
Even with the mix of different meats and vegetables, this wet food is easy to digest and gentle on your senior cat’s more delicate stomach. Be sure to keep the wet food refrigerated, so it remains fresh longer.
- Comes in two flavors, Savory Beef, and Tender Tuna
- Packed with high-quality ingredients
- Helps senior cats maintain optimal weight
- Contains corn starch, which can cause allergic reactions in cats
- The first ingredient is water
Cats both love and need wet food to have a complete nutrient source, so be sure to feed them Hill’s Science Diet Senior Wet Food to maintain that healthy body.
Purina Pro Plan Wet Cat Food
$28.32 in stock
- Twenty-Four (24) 3 oz. Pull-Top Cans - Purina Pro Plan Senior Pate Wet Cat Food; FOCUS Salmon & Tuna Entree
- Made with real salmon and tuna
- Specially formulated to meet the needs of cats age 11+
- Helps support her healthy skin and coat
- Provides essential nutrients to support a healthy immune system
Purina Pro Plan Senior 11+ Wet Cat Food focuses on higher senior cats who have an even more delicate stomach compared to younger cats.
- Salmon is the first ingredient
- Packed with essential Omega Fatty Acids
- Highly digestible formula
Senior cats who pass the ten-year mark are even more delicate, so they need to have special care given to them that can be easily achieved through their diet. This wet food diet has all of the protein and fat levels senior cats need in order to maintain an ideal body condition continuously.
Real salmon and tuna give your cat the protein source their bodies need since cats, regardless of their age, need a high protein source to function properly. Senior cats have a more delicate stomach, but you should not have to worry about their stomach being upset with this diet as it is highly palatable and easy to digest.
Thanks to the added vitamins and nutrients your senior cat will have all of the essentials that their aging bodies need so that they age with grace and full of energy.
- Helps support an overall healthy body
- Maintains a lean body
- Made in the USA
- Contains by-product ingredients
With each can of Purina Pro Plan 11+ Wet Cat Food you feed your cat the healthier their older bodies will be.
Royal Canin Canned Cat Food
- Royal Canin feline health aging 12+ thin slices in gravy is wet cat food tailored for senior cats 12 years and older
- Omega-3 fatty acids help maintain healthy joints to keep aging cats active
- Satisfies even the pickiest eaters with an instinctively preferred ratio of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates
- Supports kidney health with controlled phosphorus levels
- Pairs with Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Dry formulas
Senior cats can age gracefully when given the right wet food, like Royal Canin Aging 12+ Wet Cat Food.
- Ideal for cats over 12 years of age
- Ideal for even the pickiest of eaters
- Packed with essential nutrients
Older cats require a bit more control over the food that they eat due to them having a more sensitive body system. Royal Canin understands that and is sure that all of the ingredients used in their wet food will benefit your senior cat’s overall health from the inside to the outside.
Royal Canin’s Formula contains an ideal ratio of energy derived from proteins, fats, and carbohydrates perfect for your healthy aging senior cat. The addition of Omega-3 fatty acids helps maintain healthy joints, keeps your cat active, ensures that they have a fluffy and smooth coat and that their skin is healthy and does not flake. Your senior cat will be able to eat and digest this wet food easily, and they will absolutely love the highly palatable taste.
- Easy for senior cats to eat
- Gentle on their stomachs
- Supports your cat inside and out
- Customers have claimed the formula has changed and their cats no longer like it
- Contains by-products
- Water is the first ingredient
If you have a highly senior cat, then you want to be sure to feed them Royal Canin Aging 12+ Wet Cat Food as it is easy on their stomach and beneficial to their body.
Fussie Cat Canned Cat Food
- Tuna Is The First Ingredient
- Made In A Human Consumables Manufacturing Plant
- Grain-Free And Rich In Dha
- Free of Potato, Corn, Wheat, Soy, Artificial Colors, Artificial Flavors and Artificial Preservatives.
- Quality controls meet international standards, to ensure your cat’s health, and your peace of mind.
Fussie Cat Premium Wet Food is the best wet cat food for older cats thanks to its high quality ingredients and savory taste.
- Animal protein is the first ingredient
- Made in human grade factories
- Ingredients can be seen
Fussie Cat makes all of their cat foods, be them wet or dry, in human grade factories so you can be sure that they take careful time to be sure that all the ingredients they use are of the highest quality and free of any harmful chemicals, antibiotics, preservatives, and artificial colors.
The best thing about Fussie Cat is that all of their foods are meant for all life stages; you can start feeding your cat Fussie Cat from a young age and continue to feed it to them to their senior years without having to change or switch their diet. You can see all of the ingredients used in this wet food, which is excellent for you and even better for your cat as they will thoroughly enjoy each bite of this wet food.
- Rich in DHA
- Comes in nine tantalizing flavors
- Good for all life stages
- Can get expensive due to the quality of ingredients
Even the pickiest of cats will not be able to resist the tempting flavor of Fussie Cat Premium Wet Food.
The best senior cat food has everything that your older cat would need. The food has the right balance of proteins to keep their energy up, the ideal level of nutrients to keep them healthy, and a delectable taste that your cat will not be able to resist. While there are age specific cat foods, if you can find a cat food that is great for all ages, then it makes things easier on you and your wallet.
But that does not mean you can switch to a senior cat specific food if you feel like your cat will benefit better from a top rated senior cat food. The last thing that you want is to further strain your senior cat’s body due to something that you can simply change. Any of the senior cat foods suggested above will benefit your senior cat without a doubt, so all you will have to do is see which flavor your cat would prefer out of the bunch.
Best Cat Food For Older Cats
If you're not sure what's the best cat food for older cats, here's our review of today's top products to help you make a decision.
- Nutro Senior Dry Cat Food
- Halo Natural Dry Cat Food
- Merrick Senior Dry Cat Food
- Solid Gold Dry Cat Food
- Blue Buffalo Mature Dry Cat Food
- Nulo Senior Dry Cat Food
- Hill's Wet Cat Food
- Purina Pro Plan Wet Cat Food
- Royal Canin Canned Cat Food
- Fussie Cat Canned Cat Food